ZOOM IN.
ART ON THE WILD SIDE.
6.30.2010
Wild Thing

Wild Thing


Puah Hui Sze


Clay, silica paint


2010

This is one of my works for this year's assignment. This is a monster made from clay. It is an incense burner that one uses for aroma therapy. This monster has hair that is rotten, which are actually Rafflesia's petals. It has a slimy and old body in a sickening shade of green. The inside of its mouth is magic blue, and has a relatively smooth surface. The dish used for containing plant oils has a tiny, sad but bloody grey bunny in it. I wanted to make my Wild Thing as scary and gruesome as possible, maybe even gory. Hence, I drew one hole into each of its eyes, so that when the candle is lit, light can be seen shining throug its eyes. To make the eye look catchier, I carved simple designs that look like eyelashes. The colour combination of the Wild Thing was inspired by Paul Gauguin's selection of primitive colours, but primitive colours chosen by me were quite muted. The choice of colours for my Wild Thing was also due to the habitat of this Wild Thing--jungle.
0 Comments:

Post a Comment